Thursday, November 13, 2008

Remember these songs??

 

"Brick" by Ben Folds Five

I never knew what this song was about... but at 10 years old, I was belting it out.  Apparently I began supporting abortion at a young age.

"Time of your Life" by Green Day

Great tune... will never get old.  I actually remember listening to this song in Glacier National Park and when they said "Take the photographs and still frames in your mind" I tried to mentally take a snapshot of a mountain... and it worked... I think of that every single time I hear this song.

"Crash Into Me" by Dave Matthews Band

Another one of those... little did I know I was singing about hiking up a girl's skirt... but still, great tune.

"All My Life" by KC & JoJo

Probably the cheesiest song i've ever heard... and reminds me all too much of thinking I was in love in 8th grade and seeing the guy I was in love with dancing with my best friend.

"No Rain" by Blind Melon

Whenever you feel out of place... just think, you could be dressed in a home-made costume with a ridiculous striped stocking on your head and harry potter glasses, running through the streets like a homeless bumblebee.

"Spider Webs" by No Doubt

I got grounded because Melissa and I kept changing my family's answering machine message to the chorus of this song... I wonder how many other girls actually did that.

"Black Hole Sun" by Sound Garden

I thought melting my Barbie dolls on a barbecue grill was the coolest thing ever... until I got caught.

"Gansta's Paradise" by Coolio

I hated Coolio.  H-A-T-E-D Coolio.  And in 6th grade I pretended to like him because all the cool kids did.  I regret that decision every single day of my life.

"Bitch" by Meredith Brooks

I got to say the word "Bitch" when I sang along with this song... so it was probably the coolest song ever.  Just like Melissa used to blast a song by Alanis Morisette so the cute next door neighbor would think she's cool for playing a song with the word bitch in it.

I love hearing songs that take me back to a certain time and place... it's as close as we'll ever get to reliving our childhood.

Kenny Chesney describes this feeling best in the song "I Go Back":

"We all have a song that somehow stamped our lives...
Takes us to another place and time.
So I go back to a pew, preacher, and a choir
Singing about God, brimstone, and fire...
And the smell of Sunday chicken after church.
And I go back to the loss of a real good friend,
And the sixteen summers I shared with him...
Now "Only The Good Die Young" stops me in my tracks...
Every time I hear that song, I go back, I go back."

What songs take you back and why??  Think about it... and get back to me!

Always,

Kels

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about Dance Dance by Fall Out Boy????

Anne said...

You are funny. And I remember teaching you and Beth about what Crash really meant while playing cards and my Grandma and Grandpa's cabin.