Wednesday, July 02, 2008

I'm proud to be an American!

Soon it will be the 4th of July... just two more days!


The 4th of July has ALWAYS been my favorite holiday.
Why? Because my entire family on my dad's side would be up at the lake, we'd all get together with snacks, popcorn, and when you're almost old enough, beer... and have "The Dance" on the beach while all the little kids put everyone's lives at risk by lighting fireworks off of the dock. Even the grandparents would make the trek to the other side of the bay for "The Dance."




From left to right: Ben Splichal, Matt Jacobson, Sara Baier,
Annie Baier, Beth Splichal, Kelsey Jacobson; Front: Marla Jean
Jelly-bean -- at Lake Metigoshe, North Dakota.

Another reason I absolutely love the 4th of July is because i'm extremely patriotic. I hope that all of us remember why we have the day off on Friday... because it's an important time right now for us to think about it. We have thousands upon thousands of men and women overseas that don't get Friday off... and they are the reason it's being celebrated in the first place.

So many people have died for our freedom, and even so, our soldiers continue to fight for us... so let's remember that this weekend.

Plus, this is the only time of year you can hear "God Bless the USA" by Lee Greenwood on the radio, and if you have never heard the song "4th of July" by Shooter Jennings, then I suggest you watch the video below-- its not super patriotic or anything, but I LOVE the song for some reason, and it's only played this time of year.

Now for the reason that my feelings are kind of mixed this weekend:

Friday would be my two year anniversary with the first person i've ever loved. =( For those of you close to me, you know the back story... but for those of you who don't... Sean had just gotten home from a deployment to Afghanistan in March-- and is already back in South Korea to serve our country again... and we broke up about two months ago. I have been doing well... but would rather not be sitting at home by myself thinking about it all weekend.

Which brings me to my next point: all of my friends here in Boise, had told me they were going to be leaving town!! Every single one... so I thought I was going to spend the day missing my family in North Dakota, who will all be up at Lake Metigoshe without me.

Turns out now, two of those friends who were going to be out of town... won't be. So we had decided we would do something... but don't know what yet. And now, another one who is going out of town, just called to let me know that they decided to go camping instead... and now a huge group of my friends is doing that. I went from no plans, to having to choose, which kind of sucks. I hate making decisions. I hope I can convince some people to come camping.

Yeah, my life is rough what can I say. =) Don't get me wrong here... i'm not complaining that I now have a choice of what to do for the weekend, but I'm just not very good at making decisions like this, because I don't want anyone to be left out.

I am one of the few who work on the 4th, so that means double pay! Even though, I work the overnight shift... so I get off at 7 AM on the 4th, and still get the benefits of working on a holiday... I can't believe I used to hate this shift! =)

I leave you now with a few patriotic songs to get you in the spirit!

Lee Greenwood - "God Bless the USA"




Brooks & Dunn - "Only in America"



Toby Keith - "Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue"



Aaron Tippin - "Where the Stars and Stripes and Eagle Flies"



David Ball - "Riding with Private Malone"



God Bless America!!!!!



~Kels

3 comments:

Ranaebang said...

WOW! Way to go blogger!
I love all the videos -- I'll try to get through them as I produce cutins :)
Have a fun weekend!

Dawn said...

I love camping!!!! And no one ever wants to go here. Hope you have an awesome weekend! I'll be thinking of you while I'm stuck in GF watching the fireworks show from Whiteys!

Anonymous said...

Oooh, I love this post! I also am super patriotic, and also missed being at Lake Metigoshe. The big kids would go out on the boat and going around the entire perimeter of the lake. Sorry, the little girls weren't allowed. The picture is the best!!